According to the Centre of American Progress, “half of all employees in the United States are women, with 4 out of 10 homes having working moms”. A working mom plays four roles simultaneously: she has to take care of herself, look after her family, maintain a well-organized home and obviously her career in which she wishes to excel. If she is not able to manage this quadruple role effectively, it may cause regret and anxiety due to the split attention between family and work. Time management is vital for a working mother.
Are you a working mom but having a tough time with the hectic routine? Don’t stress out and follow these 11 practical ideas for best time management.
- Take out time for yourself first: Forget everything and take out time for yourself, first. If you want to function efficiently, you should be physically and mentally fit. Spare a day, every week or so, to have some relaxing “me –time”. Go to a good Spa or get a massage to relax. Also, be sure to have a healthy diet maintain your sleep hours. Schedule and strictly follow a bedtime routine for yourself and your kids.
- Align your priorities: It is better to have your priorities aligned and work accordingly. Prioritizing will help you to know which task should to do first; according to their degree of importance. Learn to distinguish between “important” and “urgent”.
- Set reality-based goals: Be realistic! Don’t consider yourself a superhero. Try to set achievable goals, keeping in mind your time constraints.
- Pre-plan everything: You can save a lot of your time if you start thinking ahead and pre-plan your stuff. For example, preparing for breakfast or kids’ lunch boxes, packing their school bags, the night before etc. When cooking, you can plan dishes with similar ingredients in a week. That would allow you to prepare the week’s menu ingredients in one go and save lots of time. You may also prepare large quantities of meals and freeze the extras to be used later on during busy days.
- Enlist everything: Being a working mom enables you to have the busiest routine ever. So it is advisable to make your to-do list, in order to keep your sanity intact. This list can be made on a daily or weekly basis and may include anything from routine medical check-ups of your infants/toddlers to Parents – Teachers meeting of your school going kids, and anything in between. You can also mark a calendar about upcoming birthdays or important family events.
- Organize: Keep your things and your kids’ stuff organized by designating a specific place for everything – it will not only help you from losing things but also save you a hundred hours of frustration and stress trying to find important documents, a pair of scissors or your toddler’s socks. Assemble everything from pantry cabinets to your wardrobe.
- Be disciplined with your routine: Make a schedule of everything you do and stick to it. Plan out things you can do when your kids are sleeping. Reduce your screen time and utilize that time for some other productive tasks.
- Multitasking: Multitasking is a key to save and manage time. For example, you can apply a good face mask while giving a bath to your baby or you can make important phone calls while doing house chores like ironing or even preparing meals.
- Use technology to your advantage: Try to utilize the internet in the best possible way to save your time and energy. Pay your bills, send gifts to your loved ones, or even shop from online stores.
- Spend time with your family: Spending time with your children is very crucial in order to maintain healthy family dynamics. On daily basis, you can have family dinner or breakfast and can opt for family outings at weekend.
- Keep a house help: I repeat do NOT try to be a super mom by trying to do everything yourself. It will only make you tired and frustrated at the end of the day. If you can not manage your work and family all alone, keep a house help like a babysitter. It will minimize your burden and let you restore your energy.
Are you a working mom? What specific time management strategies do you use? Do let us know in the comment section below.